Current InfoHillcrest Catering:

If you need great home cooked meals and a first class hall you have come to the right place! Hillcrest has been providing quality service for over 50 years.

More Details
A Brief History of SS. Peter & Paul Church

SS Peter and Paul Byzantine Catholic Church Minersville, PAOriginally a part of St. George Byzantine Catholic Church which was founded in 1896 and served both Ruthenian and Ukranian Catholics of Byzantine Rite, SS. Peter & Paul Church was organized and incorporated in 1910 to originally serve the spiritual needs of Byzantine Ruthenian Catholics. Construction of the current church building was begun in 1911 but due to the construction delays of World War I, SS. Peter & Paul Church was not formally dedicated until September 25, 1924. Under the pastorate of Emil Nevitsky, a full-length icon screen, pulpit, and pews were eventually installed.

Upon being installed as pastor in 1940, Fr. Vladimir Kapisinky saw the need for the parish children to be properly educated in their faith and traditions. He ultimately envisioned a catering facility as a way to finance the construction of a parish school. The original Hillcrest Hall, which is still located on Desmond-Llewelyn Highway, was blessed on December 26, 1948. Through the years Hillcrest has gone through many renovations, an additional hall facility for smaller events was constructed on the lower of the church property on South Fourth Street in Minersville.

After many years of generosity and hard work by the parishioners at Hillcrest and other parish fundraisers, SS. Peter & Paul Byzantine Catholic School was blessed and opened on August 17, 1958. Served for many years by the Sisters of St. Basil the Great and lay teachers, the school was an education and spiritual center for our church and community until its closing in 1992 due to declining enrollment.

Over the last several decades, the parish has undergone major renovations. In the early 1990's, under Fr. Donald Kranak, Hillcrest was modernized, the church interior was repainted, and a breezeway was installed, connecting church and rectory. Fr. Michael Mondik continued the renovations in the late 1990's with new icons for the church and screen, new domes, a new church canopy and entrance, and a complete renovation of the rectory interior, including a new garage.

In anticipation of SS. Peter & Paul Church's 100th Anniversary in 2010, the current pastor, Fr. Ronald Barusefski has spent the most recent years focusing on the exteriors of the church and Hillcrest, the completing the rectory renovation, the landscaping of the parish cemetery, and most recently, the new church carpeting and expansion of the amvon area in front of the icon screen.

As we prepare to celebrate our 100th Anniversay, may our church's history continue to be written with faith, hope, and most importantly, love – for God His Church, and each other!

SS Peter & Paul Church

Over the last several decades, the parish has undergone major renovations. In the early 1990's, under Fr. Donald Kranak, Hillcrest was modernized, the church interior was repainted, and a breezeway was installed, connecting church and rectory. Fr. Michael Mondik continued the renovations in the late 1990's with new icons for the church and screen, new domes, a new church canopy and entrance... [Continue]

Address Details SS. Peter & Paul
Byzantine Catholic Chuch
107 South Fourth Street
Minersville, PA 17954
Phone/Fax Details (570) 544.2074 (phone)
(570) 544.9441 (fax)